News

Welcome New Staff

We have had several new staff start at Marrara and we look forward to working with them.

Aaron Maidment – Assistant Principal

Hello! I am so excited to be here at Marrara. I have recently moved up to the Top End from Melbourne where I worked at Chairo Christian School. There I taught across a number of year levels in Junior, Middle, and Senior teaching as a general classroom teacher and as a specialist in English, Maths, and Humanities. Before that I worked at Maranatha Christian School in Learning Support. I have a long history with Maranatha having completed my T-12 education there; my parents are both long term staff members there, Mum, who is also Maranatha alumni, teaches PE and applied learning and Dad is in maintenance. I have two siblings, an older brother and younger sister, and two nephews and a niece. I love travelling, cooking, and going to the theatre. I am passionate about Christian Education and our ability to help students see the world in the light of Christ’s redemptive work, teaching them to take hold of the hope set before them and to share this with the world. 

Feel free to contact me anytime. Once current restrictions have eased, I look forward to meeting you in person!

Corline Esterhuizen – Education Support Coordinator

I am very excited to be part of the Marrara family. In my role as Education Support Coordinator, I am looking forward to getting to know the students and families here at Marrara Christian College and working alongside students to maximise their learning.

I am passionate about education and have gained extended experience in various roles in education in South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. Most recently, I worked as Head of Middle School at Flinders Christian Community College on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. Prior to that I was Head of Teaching and Learning at the same college. My husband and I relocated from Melbourne to Darwin in 2021 and we enjoy exploring our new environment.

It is my desire to partner with families to support students on their learning journey and to serve the Marrara community.

Brittany Haythornthwaite – Primary Teacher

Hello, my name is Brittany. I am very excited to be teaching at Marrara Christian College. I have just moved to Darwin from my hometown Busselton in Western Australia. I have been teaching for the last ten years and absolutely love working with children, they are my joy! One of my favourite places is the beach, I absolutely love swimming in the salt water. I really enjoy being in nature, keeping active, being social, exploring new places, having a good laugh and going out for brunch. If you see me around, please say hello, I would love to meet you!

Kate Palmer – Primary Teacher

Hi everyone! I have just moved back to the Territory after 4 years studying my teaching degree in NSW. I spent Years 9–12 at Marrara Christian College and am excited to be back again! I’ll be mostly in the Primary School working with the wonderful team over there.

My passions include (but are not limited to) music, dance, drama and Jesus! Looking forward to seeing you around the College grounds and joining back into the Marrara community!

Benedict Olih – Primary Teacher

I am Benedict, I recently moved from Melbourne to Darwin to be part of Marrara Christian College. I love inspiring young minds to be the best version that God has created them to be. I teach Year 5 and 6 presently, and so far, the journey has been enlightening and full of great learning. 

I love music, hiking, serving at my local church, and catching up with good friends. I am fascinated by Christian Education, especially transformational learning. I am looking forward to positive interactions with everyone at MCC.

Natalie Johnston – Secondary Teacher

Hi, I’m Natalie Johnston. I am a Darwin girl and I feel blessed to have this opportunity to teach English, HaSS and HPE at Marrara Christian College this semester. In 2021, I taught the Year 8-10 class at Gäwa Christian School on Elcho Island which was an amazing, eye-opening adventure to be living and working on country. I am interested in Indigenous Australian Education and working with EAL/D students. I like travelling and learning about new cultures, listening to music and baking. I enjoy helping with the children’s programs at my local church.

William Young – Secondary Teacher

My name is William Young but most people just call me Bill.

I have been in education since 1983 and have taught everything from Year 1 to Year 12, and teaching PhD candidates research methods in Education and Psychology at University. My experience spans teaching in some of Australia’s great grammar schools such as Scotch College, Prince Alfred College and Westminster School… to lowly little country schools with fifty students. My conclusion is that the truly great schools and greater teachers are those that love children. The needs of children are everything – all else is secondary.

It is great to be back at Marrara after thirty years. Back to a school that was always a great “light on the hill” for Darwin, and a place where children were loved and cared for. I’m looking forward to being a part of that experience again.

Andrew Sieffert – Secondary Teacher

Hi, I’m Andrew. I’ve returned to live and teach in Darwin again after 14 years in Geelong. I’m amazed at how much rain this year’s Wet Season can deliver and am enjoying the usual Darwin life as I used to.

Marrara has been so welcoming, although I already knew a few familiar faces. I’m teaching Secondary Design (Technology) and Art, and I’d like to make this a bit fun and inventive. Moving up here again was a really big effort, which included quite a bunch of pets as well, some domestic, one exotic. There’s 3 in our family, and my son Noah starts Secondary School for the first time this week. 

Anyway, please do say hi if you see me around.

Jodi Gulley – Secondary Teacher

This is a picture of me and Pepper the Robot. I have an interest in STEM Education and the future of scientific discovery. My degree is in Chemistry with a particular interest in materials science. I was born in New Zealand but spent seven years of childhood in PNG before moving to Brisbane to finish high school and university.

My husband and I have moved to Darwin to work at NT Christian Schools. Our three daughters are grown up and did not come with us as they are studying and working in Brisbane and Melbourne. We have both grown up in Christian families and have always strived to be faithful. We look forward to supporting the College community.

More articles

Awards and Achievements

Congratulations to Marrara students for their outstanding achievements. Emma – Year 12 Student Emma was recently announced as the winner of the Art Educators of

Read More »

Hello world!

Welcome to NT Christian Schools. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!

Read More »